Day 2 of Post Expo 2017 saw the Postal Innovation Platform host a debate on the future of the US Postal Service. It was another epic battle of ideas between former USPS OIG David Williams and Bell & Howell CEO Dr Ramesh Ratan, with Elmar Toime and Professor Matthias Finger adding commentary.
It was a discussion on high level ideas, such as:
- The idea of government holding the "golden share" in privatised postal operators
- Funding for providing the USO in high cost areas
- The role of regulators
- Government bodies competing with its own citizens
- Can shareholders be trusted to look out for the public's best interests?
- Is the post infrastructure or business?
- Timing for privatisation
- Public private partnerships
In another session, Carl W Asmus, Senior Vice President of E-Commerce and President/CEO of FedEx Cross Border for FedEx Express, talked about the need for collaboration in cross-border e-commerce. He also threw out a challenge to postal operators dabbling in returns to venture into reverse logistics.
Here are some more photos from the exhibition:
Get the Postal Hub delivered free to your inbox each week: